This episode is Lisa's first minisode, the Motivating Power of your “WHY” and it starts with a brief review of S.M.A.R.T. goals. Refresher? Check out Lisa's guest post for TechMama's on Tips For Family Goal Setting.
The Bad News is that achieving goals is difficult. Change is uncomfortable. If you have a goal, you're going to have to work, get off the couch, turn off Facebook, say no to drinks after work or go to the gym when you'd rather have a snack. I know! Bummer! So…
Gimme a Good Reason. That's what we need to get past the discomfort. What's YOUR Reason? Maybe you think you already know, that it's obvious.
But Here's a Warning. Your WHY will be less effective if it's powered by shame or avoidance, or a “should”. White-knuckling can work for a while but may not stick and negative language like reason's including “not” and “don't” generally fail too as Lisa mentioned in Super Power U Episode #4.
A Powerful WHY is inspiring or exciting, reflects where you're headed, where you want to go, the person you want to be and the life you want generates a feeling of adventure, pride, accomplishment, contribution, celebration, or inspiration and makes you feel good.
Three messages about the Power of WHY from Tony Robbins RPM system, Simon Sinek's Power of Why and Rachel Hart's Compelling Reason. One of them might resonate more with you. Hint: They all highlight the WHY as a central power point.
Lisa's favorite is from Rachel:
“A compelling reason is exciting, it captures your attention, it makes you think, I want to do this, I want to go for it. When you have a compelling reason, you're like, okay, when do we start? A compelling reason compels you to action, that's why it's called a compelling reason.” – Rachel Hart
Listen in to today's show to find out how to find your WHY and to hear a personal example from Lisa as she sets out to reincorporate her Goal of Intermittent Fasting (either a weekly 36-hour fast or a daily 18:6 fast) and follow along as she reviews how she uses the Knowing Your Why process to get excited about achieving that goal.
What You'll Discover
- what's missing if you're feeling stuck
- that you need a good reason and your Reason under the Reason, your WHY must be motivating, exciting, energizing and have energy to sustain you through the discomfort
- what to avoid
- 3 versions of WHY and how to find yours
- there can be more than just one motivating reason either.
- the tactic of identifying the deeper reason, finding the Motivating Power of WHY can be revisited as often as needed.
- the more you do it, the more that practice itself becomes a habit, the more likely the behavior is to stick.
- Social Media Marketing World
- SMART Goals and Tips to Set Family Goals Article on Tech Mamas
- Tony Robbins and his RPM system
- Simon Sinek and his Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action and Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team (affiliate links)
- Rachel Hart and her Take A Break from Drinking Podcast
- Intermittent Fasting
- 18:6 Fast