Episode #25: Facing Death; Compassion in Action with Sandy Buchman
Music Credits: https://www.bensound.com/ and Pat LaCroix
Most Americans are fearful of death. And our collective fear of talking about is in the way of making compassionate care increasingly available. Lisa talk with Dr. Sandy Buchman who was her mother's home hospice doctor about being a life-long learner and creating a free student-run highschool with other dropouts, how birth and death are natural and should be seen as community events, and using his Super Power of Compassion in Action in his work supporting the dying and their families in their homes and on the streets.
- The difference between palliative care and hospice.
- Sandy's belief that his good fortune and privilege require that he give back
- How in the 1970's Sandy and other dropouts started their own accredited school, high school in Toronto.
- Sandy early career begain with the home birthing movement and he sees birthing and dying not so much as medical events but as social events.
- The challenges of working with the homeless population in in Toronto and the desperate need for support for that community
“I always felt an obligation to pay it forward and pay it back. We have a mandate and social responsibility to improve lives.”
“I see birthing and dying not so much as medical events but as social events.”
“I base everything on the principle of autonomy.”
- Kate Sweeney in a CNN article article called The American Fear of Dying.
- Super Power U #23: Intermittent Fasting
- Pearls From My Mom – The Podcast; Episode #17 about my mom Naomi Patricia LaCroix and Episode #20 – Pearls from my Mom – a Mothers Day Episode
- Super Power U #24: Facing Death; Leading with Love with Maya Lockwood
- Joe Betts-LaCroix: TedxSF: Stayin' Alive
- Palliative Care and Education for the Homeless (PEACH)
- Canadian Medical Association
- McMaster Medical School
- Stratford Ontario
- Lorne Buchman, The Art Center
Atul Gawande, Being Mortal (book)
- The Ken Page Memorial Trust
- Toronto Jazz Treasures
- Maclean's Magazine article “The Doctor Who Took on Death”
See the FULL TRANSCRIPTION of this show!
Super Power U