Bring Lisa to speak at your Education conference or event!
A champion of radical educational reform, Lisa co-founded of a network of 350+ families in the San Francisco Bay area who independently educate their children outside of traditional school; the group sets new precedents for community-based, independent learning for high-ability (gifted and PG kids). Her Free Learning Dinner Salons brought together diverse groups of VCs, angel investors, innovative educators, and startup entrepreneurs, and Innovation Ed 2016 brought together hundreds of individuals and organizations committed to transforming learning. She had an early advisory role at Uncollege, and helped create the curriculum for their Hackademics camps and The Gap Year program.
Lisa independently educated her now college-aged son and pre-teen daughter, has written about independent learning and speaks on Rebranding Aging: Changing the prescribed narratives our cultures imposes on all stages of live, Meta-Learning and the Future of Education (SXSWedu, Under 20 New York Summit, Thiel Fellowship Retreats, Creative Live, HSC Annual Conference, etc). She has been featured in Wired Magazine and on CBS News and Swiss TV for her role as a prominent leader in the independent learning movement growing out of Silicon Valley.
More on other topics at: https://lisabl.com/
“Micro-Schools; The Future of Education”
Lisa Betts-LaCroix is a speaker, writer and outspoken advocate for radical alternatives to living and learning. She's been featured in 100+ television, radio and news pieces including CBS News, the Financial Times, MGM, Universal and 20th Century Fox. As a film and tv actor, she's worked with household names like Norman Jewison, Angela Lansbury, Adam Beach, Kathy Bates and David Carradine and she holds a World Title in Pro-Am American Rhythm ballroom dance. Lisa is passionate about finding new ways to support people create their own path in the uncharted waters of the future world and believes that embracing agency over one’s living and learning path is a privilege and a right.
“Lisa’s Rock your Talk workshop is a powerful asset to anyone looking to communicate a vision. I came away with more tangible skills that I still use almost every day. She has helped shape the way I communicate and also given me simple tools to help others communicate more compellingly. I highly recommend Rock your Talk!”
-Eric Glustrom, Watson University
Other Feedback on the Rock Your Talk Program
“Really love it all. Very engaged and knowledgeable! I’ve never had someone tell me to be nervous before and that really helps. Now, I think I can channel that nervous energy into powerful projection and authenticity!”
“I’ve always struggled with articulation and now I will learn to take more pauses and let everything I want to say flow out in an understanding fashion.”
“Dynamic, collective and individual, hands-on, smooth. Loved the non-judgmental evaluations.”
“You have a clear passion for what you do. In my view, the only way to build these skills is with practice and you encouraged us to get up there and practice. Kudos.” -Michael K.
“One of the best workshops I have attended so far during the Entire Launchpad phase of Uncollege. Thank you, Lisa! I feel more confident and hope I will be able to clearly articulate my speech.” -Hanaan
“Your perspective and passion on communication and speaking was thoughtful and inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to come share your wisdom with us. This was easily one of the best workshops we’ve had.” -Tim W
“Awesome workshop! Your articulation when speaking is inspiring for me! I enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and speaking off the cuff to other fellows. This really helped me for the talk I am going to give next Friday about my trip across the US. Thank you!” -Caleb M.
“I really like your authenticity and how you relate things back ‘as an acting coach would say'…I got the feeling you cared but also knew a WHOLE lot about what you were talking about.”
“I really appreciate how you relate the skills of an actor to any field.”
“Not only was your feedback super specific and easy to understand but you also make me feel supported and at ease while speaking.”
Really love it all. Very engaged and knowledgeable! I’ve never had someone tell me to be nervous before and that really helps. Now, I think I can channel that nervous energy into powerful projection and authenticity!
I’ve always struggled with articulation and now I will learn to take more pauses and let everything I want to say flow out in an understanding fashion. -Eric Brock
I think this workshop needs to be in two parts so it can be longer. I found it very useful and engaging. By far one of the better ones we’ve had. -Morgan
Selected Past Speaking Events
Just a few of the Lisa's past speaking eng
- Innovation Education 2016, Micro-Schools; The Future of Education, 2016
- Passion Co. SHINE, ChangeAGEnts; Changing the Face of Age, May 2015
- The Journey Talks, From Breast-Feeding to Ballroom Dance, Oct 2014
- Thiel Fellowship New York Under 20 Summit, Rock Your Talk, Nov 8, 2013
- Uncollege Gap Year, Rock Your Talk, October 10, 2013
- Thiel Fellowship 20 Under 20 Retreat, Rock Your Talk, Sept 21, 2013
- PG Retreat, The Future of Education, July 6, 2013
- Thiel Foundation Under 20 Summit, How To Be a Self-Directed Learner, June 2, 2013
- SXSWedu, Debate, College or Uncollege?, March 5, 2013
- CreativeLIVE, Online Course, Meta-Learning segment on Hacking Your Education, Feb. 2, 2013
- Hackademics Camp, San Francisco, Meta-Learning, January 12, 2013
- Scholar Search, The Harker School, Homeschooling Panel, Dec. 9, 2012
- Hackademics Camp, San Francisco, Meta-Learning, October 27, 2012
- Thiel Fellowship 20 Under 20 Retreat, Meta-Learning, Sept 29, 2012
- Free Learning, Charles Rivers Ventures, The 5 C's of Education, Sept 20, 2012
- Quantified Self Conference 2012, Stanford U, More Tales of Weight Tracking, Sept 15, 2012
- Hackademics Camp, San Francisco, Meta-Learning, August 1, 2012
- PG Retreat, Colorado Springs, Disrupt_Ed: Recreating Learning for the 21st Century, July 3, 2012
- Quantified Self Silicon Valley, Tales of Weight Tracking, May 3, 2012
- PG Retreat, Colorado Springs, Learning Outside the Lines, July 4, 2011
- Exquisite, Living an Exquisite Life in the Face of Death, April 25, 2011
- HSC Conference, Sacramento, Family Problem-Solving, CA Aug 2011,
- PG Retreat, Colorado Springs Colorado, Community-Based Learning, July 4, 2010